Tiszavidék


IPA

CSS Templates 1 CSS Templates 2 CSS Templates 3 CSS Templates 4 Flash Templates 1 Flash Templates 2 Flash Templates 3 Flash Templates 4

ALGYŐ

General information

 

Area

75,77 km² 

Population

 5209

Population density

68,75 /km² 

Twin towns

Heberstfelden (Germany),  Újvár (Uivar, Románia), Martonos (Martonoš, Serbia) és Kórógy (Korođ, Croatia) 

Amorial bearings

 

History

 

The name Algyő was first mentioned in a charter of King Béla II (the Blind) in 1138. Similarly to other settlements, Algyő was not spared by the Mongol invasion. In 1701, аfter the Ottoman occupation, Mindszent and Algyő became part of the estate of the Semsey and Keglevich families. On December 4, 1733, in a royal donation letter, Charles VI gave Mindszent, Algyő and some land to Count Ggyörgy Erdődy of Monyorókerék, who was the president of the Hungarian Chamber. In 1803, the estate was sold to the widow of Marquis Károly Pallavicini, Countess Leopoldina Zichy and her son, Marquis Eduárd Pallavicini. The residents of Algyő were in a constant struggle with natural disasters such as the floods of 1853 and 1859, which caused a lot of damage. The Great Flood (1879) destroyed the homes of 2914 people, and their fate became uncertain as they remained homeless for the following three years. In 1973, the village was annexed to Szeged, and again it lost its autonomy for a long time. However, after the referendum which passed off on October 26, 1996, Algyő once more became an independent village with its own administration.