Tiszavidék


IPA

CSS Templates 1 CSS Templates 2 CSS Templates 3 CSS Templates 4 Flash Templates 1 Flash Templates 2 Flash Templates 3 Flash Templates 4

HÓDMEZŐVÁSÁRHELY

General information

 

Area

487,98 km² 

Population

47 019 

Population density

96,73 /km² 

Twin towns

Baja, Hatvan, Kiskunhalas és Ózd (Hungary),  Vallauris (France), Haarlemmermeer (Netherlands), Tamar (Israel), Kelmé (Lithuania), Zgierz (Poland), Hechingen (Germany), Arad, Torda (Turda) and Nagybánya (Baia Mare, Rumania), Zenta (Senta, Serbia) and Aknaszlatina (Szolotvino, Ukraine) 

Amorial bearings

 

History

 

After the Hungarian conquest and the foundation of the Hungarian State, several small villages were established in this area. The earliest mention of the land of Hód was in the will of Mikló bailiff from the Csák tribe in 1231, and the name of Vásárhely first appeared in 1266 in the testament of Nána bailiff from the Bor-Kalán tribe. In 1282, king Ladislas IV the Cuman (In Hungarian: László IV) defeated the rebellion of the Cumans in the Battle of Hód Lake near the city. In 1437, the name of Hódvásárhely was mentioned as an estate centre. It was elevated to the status of a market town by the Governor John Hunyadi in 1456. After the Ottoman occupation, the estate was given to the Bercsényi, and later to the Schlick family. In 1722, the estate’s governors were the Károlyi family. Hódmezővásárhely obtained its administrative autonomy in 1873 by breaking away from the county’s authority. Hódmezővásárhely’s golden age in terms of its development was at the turn of the 19-20th century; many of the buildings currently determining the townscape were built during that time. In 1890, Hódmezővásárhely became the fourth most populous city in the country. After the change of regime, in 1990, Hódmezővásárhely became a county town. In 1997, Hódmezővásárhely became the first Hungarian city to have won the honour flag of the European Award, Prix Europa. In 2009, Hódmezővásárhely became Settlement of the Year, and on June 19, 2010, it was awarded the Hungarian Heritage Award.