Tiszavidék


IPA

CSS Templates 1 CSS Templates 2 CSS Templates 3 CSS Templates 4 Flash Templates 1 Flash Templates 2 Flash Templates 3 Flash Templates 4

MAGYARKANIZSA/KANJIŽA

General information

 

Area

70,11 km² 

Population

10200 

Population density

 

Twin towns

 Budaörs, Felsőzsolca, Ferencváros, Kiskunhalas, Nagykanizsa, Röszke and Tata (Hungary), Királyhelmec (Kráľovský Chlmec, Slovakia), Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe, Rumania), Svilajnac (Serbia)

Amorial bearings

 

History

 

The settlement was first mentioned in a charter from 1083 by the name of 'Cnesa’. In 1093, it was already indicated as property of Pannonhalma Abbey. The next written record of the village is from 1335 as 'villa Canysa', namely Kanizsa village. After the Peace of Karlóca (1699), Serbs who were employed for military border services in the area settled in. The crown district of Tisza was formed at that time with its ten villages: Kanjiža (Magyarkanizsa), Martonoš (Martonos), Senta (Zenta), Ada (Ada), Mol (Mohol), Bačko Petrovo Selo (Péterréve), Bečej (Óbecse), Srbobran (Szenttamás), Túrfia, and Bačko Gradište (Földvár). Kanjiža was elevated to the rank of market town in 1751, and it received the right to have a market and a harbour. Two years later, Hungarians settled in the village. On August 5, 1849, Kanjiža was occupied by the imperial troops. After a long and difficult battle, they crossed the river Tisza and forced the Hungarian troops, led by General Guyon, to retreat. Since 1885, a bridge connects the village with Novi Kneževac (Törökkanizsa). In 1920, the town was annexed to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, and it was renamed to 'Stara Kanjiža'. In 1944, partisans slaughtered approximately 300 Hungarians.