Tiszavidék


IPA

CSS Templates 1 CSS Templates 2 CSS Templates 3 CSS Templates 4 Flash Templates 1 Flash Templates 2 Flash Templates 3 Flash Templates 4

MARTONOS/ MARTONOŠ

General information

 

Area

 52,2 km²

Population

2183 

Population density

 44 /km²

Twin towns

 Algyő (Hungary)

 

 

History

 

The first written records of the settlement date from 1237 when it was mentioned in connection with the Martinus monastery. In a record from 1335 Mártély was already mentioned as a village. In 1554, Mártély fell under the authority of the Ottoman empire. Martonoš became part of the Tisza-Maros frontier area. On June 28, 1751, with the formation of the crown district, the village became free. Tobacco growers settled in the village in 1781. On February 2, 1849, the Hungarians killed 78 Serbs. In 1944, the partisans executed 25 of the village’s residents.