Tiszavidék


IPA

CSS Templates 1 CSS Templates 2 CSS Templates 3 CSS Templates 4 Flash Templates 1 Flash Templates 2 Flash Templates 3 Flash Templates 4

ÓBECSE/BEČEJ

General information

 

Area

239,97 km²

Population

24 226

Population density

114 /km²

Twin towns

Miercurea Ciuc (Romania), Csongrád (Hungary), Galanta (Slovakia), and Szekszárd (Hungary)

Amorial bearings

 

 

History

 

The first written reference to the village was found in a charter dating from 1091 (Bechey); later, in 1238, it was also mentioned as a fortified settlement donated by Béla IV to the monks of Székesfehérvár (villa Wechey). The village's fortress was built between 1300 and 1320. The settlement was also part of Brankovics’s estate, and later Hunyadi’s. In 1702, аfter the establishment of the Tisza frontier area, it became a military rampart, and it played the role of a frontier defence until 1751. The majority of the Serbian border guards then moved to Russia. During the Hungarian War of Independence, on April 19, 1849, Mór Perczel's troops drove the Serbian arny away. On August 15, 1889, a railway started functioning between Bečej and Senta. The settlement was annexed to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes after the Treaty of Trianon. In 1941, Hungarian troops occupied Bečej. There were 206 victims of the Hungarian razzia in 1942. In 1944, 200 or 600 people were killed in the Serbian retaliation.