CSS Templates 1 CSS Templates 2 CSS Templates 3 CSS Templates 4 Flash Templates 1 Flash Templates 2 Flash Templates 3 Flash Templates 4


General information



 166,8 km²


 20 302 

Population density


Twin towns

District I. of Budapest, Hódmezővásárhely, Törökszentmiklós, Dabas és Gödöllő (Hungary), Medijana (Serbia), Dunaszerdahely (Dunajská Streda, Slovakia), Kranj (Slovenia), Munkács (Mukacseve, Ukraine), Székelykeresztúr (Cristuru Secuiesc, Rumania) 

Amorial bearings




The first written record of the village is from a charter dating from 1216. In the 13th century, Latin sources mentioned the settlement as 'Zentha' or 'Zyntha'. The Mongol invasion did not spare the city. In the 14th century, the population in the village slowly began to increase; and in the second half of the 14th century, the Chapter of Óbuda took possession of Senta. In the 15th century, Senta became a market town with a church and a weekly market. Vladislaus II raised the status of Senta to a town in a charter from February 1, 1506. In the 15th century, Senta became a market town with a church and a weekly market. In mid October, 1686, the besiegers clashed with the Turks near Senta, at Orompart. The first Battle of Zenta ended with the victory of the Christian armies, after which the Turks handed over Szeged. On September 11, 1697, the troops of Jenő Savoyai once again defeated the army of the Sultan. After they drove out the Turks, the court of Vienna organized the Tisza frontier area in 1702, and Serbian border guards were settled in Senta’s ramparts. In 1751, Maria Theresa changed the status of the region along the Tisza into a privileged crown district (crown district of Tisza), and the local residents and those who wanted to settle in the area received certain economic privileges and benefits. Despite these advantages, the Serbian border guards and their families еmigrated in large numbers to Russia and to Banat of Temeschwar. On February 1, 1849, the Serbs set Senta on fire, and killed a lot of its residents. The first wooden bridge in Senta was built in 1873. In 1911, the town hall and the nearby church burnt down, but later they were rebuilt. In 1944, the Serbs executed 64 Hungarians here. In the early 1960s, a new bridge over Tisza and a sugar factory were built; the latter significantly contributed to the development of the industry in the city.